Discount Rates Extended for the ‘Practicing Journalism in Dangerous Times’ Spring Conference
Only a Few Weeks Remain!
Register for Practicing Journalism in Dangerous Times — Society of Professional Journalists Region One Conference 2017
Students, professionals and friends alike are welcome to join us April 7-8 at John Jay College of Criminal Justice of the City University of New York for the Region 1 Conference. Special early bird rates start as low as $40.00 for students. Similar discounts are available for journalists and friends of SPJ. Register HERE.
Journalists today face more challenges than ever before. Covering the war on terror, piercing restricted access, ferreting out fake news, navigating anti-press sentiment and working with fewer resources are challenges even for the best of us.
Download the SPJ REGION ONE EVENT FLYER HERE.
The conference kicks off on Friday at 1 p.m. with a plenary session presented by photojournalists Richard Drew and David Handschuh whose coverage of the terrorist attacks of 9/11 touched the world. Drew’s photo for the Associated Press of a man falling to his death from the burning Trade Center continues to stir ethical debates. Handschuh was buried in rubble and seriously injured on the scene. Hear them discuss their work and how the trauma impacted their careers and their lives.
Concurrent sessions continue through 5 p.m. on Friday, and from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Saturday.
Registration includes an opening reception Friday from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., and the SPJ Mark of Excellence awards luncheon on Saturday at noon.
HEAR FROM EXPERTS ON THESE TOPICS AND MORE:
- Covering the LGBTQ community
- Storytelling in the multimedia age
- The journalist as protester
- Investigative reporting in the health care field
- Ethics in today’s uncertain times
- Fashion and beauty reporting in NYC
- Tackling the real-estate beat in NYC
- Journalist to author: How to make the transition
- Newsroom to classroom: Reinventing yourself
- The latest in Google tools.
Register at the site here and stay tuned for more updates!
- academia | academics | advancement | auction | author | beauty | career | classroom | college | Columbia Journalism Review | conference | CUNY | David Hanschuh | deadline club | editing | Event | fake news | fashion news | Google | jobs | John Jay | journalism | journalist | journalists | Kyle Pope | lecture | Magazines | Mark of Excellence | Media | membership | multimedia | networkin | New Jersey | new york | News | newsroom | Northeast | Panel | protester | real estate | Region 1 | registration | Richard Drew | social | speakers | spj | SPJ Region 1 Conference | storytelling | students | teaching | tools | workshop | writing
Sign up for our mailing list.
Awards Show Videos
Neil Barsky of The Marshall Project is interviewed by Barbara Nevins Taylor at the 2016 awards dinner. (Watch the Video)
Steve Coll, Dean of the Columbia University School of Journalism is interviewed by Jennifer Saba of Reuters at the 2015 awards dinner. (Watch the Video)
Jeff Zucker of CNN Worldwide is interviewed by Bill Carter of the New York Times at the 2014 awards dinner. (Watch the Video)