Membership in The Deadline Club, which is the New York City chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists, now stands around 300. The organization sponsors meetings for its membership and guests throughout the year. They include networking mixers, an annual awards dinner, a freedom of information program and panels with distinguished journalists and newsmakers.
Join one of the nation’s most prestigious journalism organizations and take advantage of these special benefits:
National Society Benefits
- Annual subscription to Quill magazine
- Subscription to SPJ Leads weekly newsletter
- Discounted admission to regional and national conferences
- Check out a comprehensive list of reasons to join now…
Local Chapter Benefits
- Networking opportunities with top NYC print, broadcast and online journalists
- Free or reduced admission to monthly Deadline Club programs and events, including the annual Deadline Club Awards
- Wining, dining and membership privileges at the Salmagundi Club, a Center for American Art, our home base on Fifth Avenue
- Attendance and participation in members-only events, including newsroom tours and seminars
- Opportunities to participate in our speakers’ bureau and mentorship programs
- Stay informed: sign up for the Deadliner Express newsletter.
Join Members of The Deadline Club Board on a Road Trip to Boston for the 2014 Region 1 Conference!
March 14, 2014 – This year’s event, organized by the New England Pro Chapter of SPJ, will bring together professional and student journalists throughout the northeast for two days of professional development and networking at Boston University.
The conference starts the afternoon on April 25 and goes through April 26, but there will be organized events Thursday night and Saturday night for those arriving early and staying late.
The theme of this year’s conference is “Byte Back! Doing Great Journalism in the Digital Age” and will include programs on investigative reporting, cross-disciplinary journalism, ethics, high-tech newsgathering, personal branding, legal issues for journalists and much, much more. It is guaranteed to be exciting and informative event — not to mention an investment in your career.
An opening night reception will be held at The Castle, a gorgeous Tudor Revival mansion on the BU campus, where legendary broadcast journalist Carole Simpson will share her thoughts on the present and future states of journalism.
On Saturday, we’ll take a break from programming to have a delicious lunch in BU’s elegant Trustee Ballroom, where we’ll honor the best collegiate journalism in the region at the annual Mark of Excellence Awards ceremony.
Getting to Boston is easy. In addition to Amtrak, Megabus.com is offering free rides from their locations to Boston for those coming from long distances. There are also discounted rates at several local hotels.
Early bird prices expire March 31. We’re expecting a sold-out event, so reserve your place! For details on the SPJ Region 1 Conference and to register, visit spjr1c.org.