The Deadline Club, the New York City Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists, offers events and programming throughout the year. Typically, the club hosts one or two events a month, including intensive workshops on topics ranging from freedom of information laws to social media, insightful panels, newsroom tours and media mixers. It’s a great way to make new professional contacts. Members have many opportunities to socialize with peers working in print, broadcast and digital media in New York City.
Here are just some of the benefits of membership:
• Free or reduced admission to monthly mixers and events — hear distinguished journalists and newsmakers, discuss journalism trends, learn about job opportunities and how to get hidden facts through FOIL laws, plus other useful newsgathering tips.
• Discounted tickets to the Annual Awards Dinner at the Waldorf Astoria on Park Avenue. Recent keynoters have included Steve Kroft of CBS’s “60 Minutes,” Tina Brown, the editor of Newsweek and the Daily Beast, Bill Keller, who was then the top editor at The New York Times, and both the current Wall Street Journal editor, Robert Thomson, and past editor, Paul Steiger.
• Wining, dining and membership privileges at the historic Salmagundi Club, our home base on Fifth Avenue in the Village. Take classes, enjoy the arts. (See http://www.salmagundi.org.)
• A subscription to the Deadliner Express, our e-newsletter, for alerts on upcoming events.
• A connection through national SPJ to reporters and editors across the country, to professional development at regional and national conferences.
• An annual subscription to Quill magazine.
• Access to online, on demand professional training and other benefits through SPJ’s website.
For more information about membership, email email@example.com.
To join today, go to http://www.spj.org/join.asp. Once you complete your application for national membership in the Society of Professional Journalists, click “local chapter dues” and enter $30 for the New York Deadline Club. That’s right, local dues are a mere $30! What are you waiting for? Join online today.