- This event has passed.
Covering Sexual Misconduct in the #MeToo Era
March 13, 2018 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
Tuesday, March 13, 6:30 p.m. at CUNY
Hollywood, the Beltway, Silicon Valley, newsrooms, corporations—all are being rocked by the #MeToo movement. Are you prepared to cover a sexual misconduct allegation when you receive a tip or follow a lead? With the benefit of the doubt shifting toward those who say they have been victimized by the powerful, how will you report the facts fairly? What are the important stories we’re missing along the way?
Journos, join us at The Deadline Club in a frank and informative talk with leading media figures who’ve broken news and advanced the discussion in important ways. They include:
- Koa Beck, editor-in-chief of Jezebel
- Alexandra DeSanctis, National Review fellow and co-host of “The Liberty Files” podcast
- Minna Kotkin, law professor and director of the Brooklyn Law School Employment Law Clinic
- Jessica Seigel (Moderator), adjunct professor at the NYU Journalism School and former Chicago Tribune national correspondent
- Emily Steel, media reporter, The New York Times
Steel’s reporting exposed settlements relating to allegations against Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly. Beck’s Jezebel has shined the spotlight on the problem for years, and she regularly shares insights about it on WNYC’s The Takeaway. DeSanctis’ commentary questions popular narratives about the #MeToo movement. We’re in for a lively discussion with plenty of takeaways for news professionals. Kotkin will discuss how the legal world’s non-disclosure approach to settling complaints squelched #metoo harassment news and coverage for two decades.
At a glance:
- What: Covering Sexual Misconduct in the #MeToo Era: Are You Ready?
- When: Tuesday, March 13, 2018. Reception 6:30 p.m. Talk 7 p.m.
- Where: CUNY Graduate School of Journalism, 219 W 40th St, New York, NY 10018
- Tickets: Free for Deadline Club members and students. $10 for non-members.
[Updated March 3, 2018 with new speaker information.]