Visit our Salmagundi Club HQ: 47 Fifth Avenue (at 12th Street), New York, NY 10003, 212-255-7740, www.salmagundi.org
Become a Member
Join SPJ to become a Deadline Club member — at no extra cost, via the link below. Or sign up for our email list and Deadliner newsletter to get NYC event invites and other news.
The Society of Professional Journalists, founded in 1909, is the nation’s most prestigious and broad-based journalism organization for print, broadcast and online journalists, educators and students. The Society and its chapters are dedicated to upholding the rights of freedom of the press and of information, as well as the highest professional and ethical standards. They also foster career development and skills enhancement through many events, talks, programs, workshops and resources.
Deadline Club Benefits Include:
- Great contacts — at our frequent social networking mixers and special freelancer gatherings at a variety of trendy NYC venues. As one of SPJ’s largest chapters, serving New York-area journalists since 1925, we have several hundred members and regulars plus a guest list numbering in the thousands. They include newspaper, magazine, television, video, radio, podcast and online professional journalists, as well as educators, mentors, recent J-school grads and students.
- Free or reduced admission to our live and online talks, panels, workshops and webinars — Hear prominent journalists share their expertise on industry trends and hot topics, such as how to file Freedom of Information requests; get reporting tips and career building skills training; learn about job opportunities.
- Discounted tickets to the Club’s annual spring Awards Dinner (free and virtual this year) featuring distinguished journalists as keynote speakers. The prestigious Awards Contest honors some of the New York area’s finest examples of journalism and grants scholarships to deserving J-school-bound students.
- Discounted entry to the Club’s biennial Hall of Fame Luncheon honoring noted journalists for their lifetime achievements.
- Privileges at the elegant Salmagundi Club arts center — our headquarters on Fifth Avenue in the Village. Our members have access to fine dining, a bar/pool room, library with WiFi, exhibits and select events.
SPJ Benefits and Resources
- Career development, national and local connections, industry insights, and journalism advocacy — as seen, for example, in its SPJ Code of Ethics, Legal Defense Fund, FOI Hotline and diversity initiatives.
- Steep member discounts on SPJ’s annual national Excellence in Journalism and Regional conferences covering writing, reporting, editing, ethics and Freedom of Information, as well as other in person or online career-building skills-training programs, workshops, sessions and webinars.
- Reduced fees for nominating your work for SPJ’s SDX professional and Mark of Excellence collegiate awards.
- Member discounts on such essentials as: the AP Style Book, LexisNexis, office supplies, hotel stays and auto rentals, as well as auto, lability, and health insurance. SPJ also partners with the Google News Initiative and Facebook Journalism Project.
- Access to members-only SPJ website features, such as its Freelancer Directory (where you can post your resume), freelance community contacts, select on-demand training videos, and more. There are also job postings for members and nonmembers.
- Subscriptions to SPJ’s quarterly Quill magazine and weekly Leads newsletter, full of industry news and the latest job postings.
- SPJ Journalist’s Toolbox, with online access for members and nonmembers — a treasure trove of helpful resources for writers, reporters, editors, copy editors, researchers, fact checkers, photo journalists, digital and mobile journalists, podcasters, educators, students, and freelancers (including sample pitch letters) on every news beat. It also provides Google search tips and journalism job site links.
Get Deadline Club News & Invites
Join Society of Professional Journalists & Deadline Club Chapter
Be sure to search for the New York Deadline Club