Is “sponsored news” just a fancy word for advertising or a great job opportunity crucial for the industry's future?
The winners of the 2014 Deadline Club Awards were announced on May 19th at the Waldorf Astoria. Congratulations to all.
Congratulations to the four winners. Each winner will receive a $2,500 scholarship.
After The Atlantic magazine ran a paid-for online puff piece touting Scientology, alarm bells rang from media circles to late-night comedy shows. Is “sponsored news” just a fancy word for advertising or a great job opportunity crucial for the industry’s future? On Wednesday, Oct. 29, 2014, the Deadline Club’s line-up of top experts will debate the shifting lines between the business and editorial sides of journalism, from the ethics of using your byline on paid copy to the ways marketing influences how and what we read.
Panelists include Elizabeth Spayd, editor in chief of the Columbia Journalism Review; Shane Snow, co-founder and chief creative officer of Contently.com; Andrew Edgecliffe-Johnson, U.S. news editor of the Financial Times; Lauren Drell, head brand content editor of Mashable.com; and Jeremy Caplan, Director of Education for CUNY’s Tow-Knight Center for Entrepreneurial Journalism. The moderator is Jessica Seigel, adjunct professor at the New York University journalism school and former Chicago Tribune national correspondent.
At a Glance
What: Branded Content: The Death of Journalism or Savior?
When: Wednesday, Oct. 29, 2014. Reception at 6:30 p.m, panel begins at 7:00 p.m.
Where: The CUNY Graduate School of Journalism, 219 W. 40th Street in Times Square.
RSVP: Tickets are $10 for Deadline Club non-members; free for Deadline Club members and students (with valid student I.D.). To register, click HERE
- September 26, 2014Congratulations to the 2014 Award Winners
The winners of the 2014 Deadline Club Awards were announced on May 19th at the Waldorf Astoria.
- September 17, 2014Free SPJ/Deadline Club Media Mixer on September 23
- July 26, 2014Media Networking Mixer on August 6
- May 19, 2014The 2014 Scholarship Winners
Congratulations to the four winners.
- April 17, 2014The 2014 Annual Awards Finalists
The Deadline Club is pleased to announce the finalists in the 2014 Annual Awards Contest,...
- April 10, 2014Crowbar Journalism: Prying up News with Freedom of Information Laws
Learn how journalists use freedom of information laws to uncover government corruption, secrecy and...
- April 10, 2014CNN’s Zucker to be interviewed by Bill Carter of The Times at Awards Dinner
Bill Carter, who covers the television industry for The New York Times, will be this year’s guest...
- February 24, 2014CNN's Jeff Zucker to speak at May 19 Awards Dinner
- February 11, 2014Entry Period for 2014 Awards Contest Extended to Feb. 28
The Deadline Club is stretching the deadline for its awards contest.
- February 7, 2014The Deadline Club's Midwinter Networking Mixer
Join us at Sardi's on Tuesday for our midwinter networking mixer.
- December 26, 2013The Club’s Holiday Party Returns to Salmagundi
The Club celebrated the holidays in style in the historic Greenwich Village brownstone of the...
- November 21, 2013Hall of Fame Lights Up Sardi’s
This second act brought down the house when the The Deadline Club returned to Sardi’s for its Hall...
- November 20, 2013Raise a Cup of Good Cheer at The Club's Holiday Bash (Dec. 12)
Come toast the conclusion of another eventful year at our Annual Holiday Party & Election at the...
- September 4, 2013Hall of Fame Revival Set for November
The Deadline Club is pleased to announce the revival of the New York Journalism Hall of Fame.
- September 3, 2013A Full-Day Social Media Workshop (Sept. 28)
The Deadline Club will host a full-day workshop with hands on training in multimedia and social...
- September 2, 2013SPJ Chapter of the Year
The Deadline Club, which is the New York City chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists,...