Only a Few Weeks Remain!
Register for Practicing Journalism in Dangerous Times — Society of Professional Journalists Region One Conference 2017
Students, professionals and friends alike are welcome to join us April 7-8 at John Jay College of Criminal Justice of the City University of New York for the Region 1 Conference. Special early bird rates start as low as $40.00 for students. Similar discounts are available for journalists and friends of SPJ. Register HERE.
Journalists today face more challenges than ever before. Covering the war on terror, piercing restricted access, ferreting out fake news, navigating anti-press sentiment and working with fewer resources are challenges even for the best of us.
Download the SPJ REGION ONE EVENT FLYER HERE.
The conference kicks off on Friday at 1 p.m. with a plenary session presented by photojournalists Richard Drew and David Handschuh whose coverage of the terrorist attacks of 9/11 touched the world. Drew’s photo for the Associated Press of a man falling to his death from the burning Trade Center continues to stir ethical debates. Handschuh was buried in rubble and seriously injured on the scene. Hear them discuss their work and how the trauma impacted their careers and their lives.
Concurrent sessions continue through 5 p.m. on Friday, and from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Saturday.
Registration includes an opening reception Friday from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., and the SPJ Mark of Excellence awards luncheon on Saturday at noon.
HEAR FROM EXPERTS ON THESE TOPICS AND MORE:
- Covering the LGBTQ community
- Storytelling in the multimedia age
- The journalist as protester
- Investigative reporting in the health care field
- Ethics in today’s uncertain times
- Fashion and beauty reporting in NYC
- Tackling the real-estate beat in NYC
- Journalist to author: How to make the transition
- Newsroom to classroom: Reinventing yourself
- The latest in Google tools.
Register at the site here and stay tuned for more updates!
- academia | academics | advancement | auction | author | beauty | career | classroom | college | Columbia Journalism Review | conference | CUNY | David Hanschuh | deadline club | editing | Event | fake news | fashion news | Google | jobs | John Jay | journalism | journalist | journalists | Kyle Pope | lecture | Magazines | Mark of Excellence | Media | membership | multimedia | networkin | New Jersey | new york | News | newsroom | Northeast | Panel | protester | real estate | Region 1 | registration | Richard Drew | social | speakers | spj | SPJ Region 1 Conference | storytelling | students | teaching | tools | workshop | writing
- March 24, 2017Marty Baron to Speak at Deadline Club's Annual Awards Dinner May 22
- March 24, 2017The 2017 Deadline Club Scholarships Competition is Open
- March 2, 2017Public Panel: Outsmarting ‘Fake News’ and ‘Alt-Facts’
- January 31, 2017The Deadline Club Midwinter Mixer Arrived at Sardi's on Feb. 16
- January 19, 2017SPJ Offers Flash Discount Rate for New Members
- October 7, 2016SPJ Supports Freedom of the Press
- June 28, 2016Photos from the Identity Politics Panel
- June 8, 2016Toasting Deadline Club Contest Judges: A Free Media Mixer
- May 27, 2016Deadline Club and NYABJ to Host Tues. June 14 Identity Politics Panel
- May 18, 2016Press Roundup of Our 2016 Awards Dinner
- May 11, 2016Judges Comments From the 2016 Awards
- May 11, 2016Congratulating the Winners of the Deadline Club's Annual Awards Dinner
- May 11, 2016Deadline Club Announces Contest Winners at 2016 Awards Dinner
- May 8, 2016Who gets the Rube? Club To Announce Contest Winners This Tuesday
- April 6, 2016Deadline Club Announces Awards Finalists
- April 5, 2016Deadline Club Will Announce Scholarship Winners At Annual Dinner