The Deadline Club and the New York Association of Black Journalists (NYABJ) Announce:
A Joint Panel Covering Identity Politics: Black, White, Male, Female, and in between
Tuesday, June 14, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at CUNY J-School
From Ferguson to Trump’s presidential campaign and “bathroom rights,” race, gender and LGBTQ issues are among today’s most burning social and political debates. Partnering for the first time, the Deadline Club and NYABJ will ask how we in the media are doing and how we can do better covering these hot-button issues. Is the current agitation opening doors for equality and equal time in news coverage, or have passions hijacked common sense and free speech with a new PC tyranny?
Top print and broadcast journalists from diverse media and views will debate such questions and more. Panelists include: Meredith Bennet-Smith, Deputy Ideas editor at Quartz and former Identities editor at Mic; Errol Louis, host of Inside City Hall on NY1 and Director of Urban Reporting at CUNY J-School; Vann Newkirk, Washington, D.C.-based writer for Atlantic Magazine and Contributing Editor at Seven Scribes; Ian Tuttle, Buckley Fellow in Political Journalism, National Review Institute; and Jennifer Vanasco, WNYC news editor and former CJR writer. The co-moderators are Jessica Seigel, adjunct professor at New York University Journalism School and former Chicago Tribune national correspondent; and Carol Kelly, NYABJ Parliamentarian and former assistant news editor at The Wall Street Journal.
At a Glance:
What: Covering Identity Politics: Black, White, Male, Female, and in between
When: Tuesday, June 14. Reception at 6:30 p.m., panel begins 7:00 p.m.
Where: The CUNY Graduate School of Journalism, 219 W. 40th Street
RSVP: Students and Club members free. Tickets $10 for others. Please register HERE
- May 18, 2016Press Roundup of Our 2016 Awards Dinner
- May 11, 2016Judges Comments From the 2016 Awards
- May 11, 2016Congratulating the Winners of the Deadline Club's Annual Awards Dinner
- May 11, 2016Deadline Club Announces Contest Winners at 2016 Awards Dinner
- May 8, 2016Who gets the Rube? Club To Announce Contest Winners This Tuesday
- April 6, 2016Deadline Club Announces Awards Finalists
- April 5, 2016Deadline Club Will Announce Scholarship Winners At Annual Dinner
- April 5, 2016Unlocking Public Records Panel April 27th at CUNY
- April 1, 2016Deadline Club Now Accepting Scholarship Applications
- March 2, 2016SPJ/Deadline Club Free Media Networking Mixer
- January 4, 2016Deadline Club Awards Contest Closed!
Entries for the Deadline Club’s awards contest, which honors excellence in New York journalism,...
- December 11, 20152015 Deadline Club Hall of Fame
- December 3, 2015SPJ / Deadline Club Holiday Gala & Elections
- November 10, 2015Sold Out: Hall of Fame at Sardi's on November 19
- September 27, 2015Deadline Club Skills Workshop: Get On Top of Social Media with the Latest Tools
- August 27, 2015Condolences for slain journalists