A last-minute rush of submissions pushed the Deadline Club’s 2015 journalism awards contest to a new participation record, but strained the online entry system and kept Club volunteers working late into the night on Feb. 27 as they provided phenomenal technical assistance to a few frustrated submitters.
There were some tricky moments, according to Contest Committee Chair Michael Arena, but his City University of New York associate, Beethoven Bong, was up to the task, as he has been through this and previous six-week contest entry periods. He reassured many that while the broadband system slowed with the volume of last-minute entries, those who were still applying on Feb. 27 would still have their material counted, without fear of being shut out by technology.
Before the Club started using its online contest system in 2012, paper submissions were delivered by the cartload in person or by mail. Because of how cumbersome the process was, the Club could handle only one-third to one-half the number of entries as it does with today’s online system.
This year, there were at least 569 entries, eclipsing last year’s record of 547. The total could be somewhat higher since some entries are still pending final verification.
Judging in the contest’s 31 categories will take place in the latter half of March, and finalists will be announced in late March or early April. Winners will be announced at the Club’s annual awards dinner on May 12 at the Waldorf Astoria.
- February 13, 2015In memoriam
- February 10, 2015Deadline Club Returns to the Waldorf May 12 for the Annual Awards
- February 9, 2015Students: Scholarship contest and résumé event
- January 20, 2015Midwinter Mixer Feb. 3 at Sardi's
- January 13, 2015SPJ President Dana Neuts' Official Statement on the Charlie Hebdo attacks
- January 1, 2015SPJ Region 1 Conference at Hofstra University April 17 and 18; register by April 1 for the early bird rate
- December 20, 2014Get Involved in SPJ, Deadline is 12/31!
Nominations for officers for the new Digital and Freelance communities in SPJ are open until...
- November 11, 2014For Holiday Cheer: Come to The Deadline Club's Annual Party & 2015 Board Elections
Come one, come all to The Deadline Club’s annual Holiday Party on Thursday, December 11.
- October 7, 2014Branded Content: The Death of Journalism or its Savior?
Is “sponsored news” just a fancy word for advertising or a great job opportunity crucial for the...
- September 26, 2014Congratulations to the 2014 Award Winners
The winners of the 2014 Deadline Club Awards were announced on May 19th at the Waldorf Astoria.
- September 17, 2014Free SPJ/Deadline Club Media Mixer on September 23
- July 26, 2014Media Networking Mixer on August 6
- June 30, 2014Deadline Club 2014 Awards Winners and Finalists
- May 19, 2014The 2014 Scholarship Winners
Congratulations to the four winners.
- April 17, 2014The 2014 Annual Awards Finalists
The Deadline Club is pleased to announce the finalists in the 2014 Annual Awards Contest,...
- April 10, 2014Crowbar Journalism: Prying up News with Freedom of Information Laws
Learn how journalists use freedom of information laws to uncover government corruption, secrecy and...