The winners of the 2014 Deadline Club Awards were announced on May 19th at the Waldorf Astoria. Congratulations to all. Links to the winning works are included below.
NEWSPAPERS, WIRE SERVICES AND DIGITAL
The Daniel Pearl Award for Investigative Reporting
- Steve Stecklow, Babak Dehghanpisheh and Yeganeh Torbati, Reuters, “Assets of the Ayatollah”
Newspaper or Digital Beat Reporting
- Rukmini Callimachi, The Associated Press, “Al-Qaeda’s Papers”
Newspaper or Digital Feature Reporting
- John Leland, The New York Times, “58 Years and Counting, A Love Story”
Newspaper or Digital Spot News Reporting
- Staff, Newsday, “Deadly Curve”
Newspaper or Digital Enterprise Reporting
- Dennis Overbye, The New York Times, “Higgs”
Newspaper or Digital Local News Reporting
- Al Shaw, Theodoric Meyer, Jeff Larson and Christie Thompson, ProPublica, “After the Flood”
Reporting Newspaper with a Circulation Under 100,000
- Rong Xiaoqing, Sing Tao Daily, “The Dark Corner in An Elite High School –Mental Health of Successful Students Needs More Attention”
Reporting by Independent Digital Media
- Katherine Bagley and Maria Gallucci, InsideClimate News, “Bloomberg’s Hidden Legacy: Climate Change and the Future of New York City”
Magazine Personal Service
- Jessica Bruder, Bobbie Gossage and Eric Schurenberg, Inc. Magazine, “The Psychological Price of Entrepreneurship”
- Suzanna Andrews, More Magazine, “A Texas Rebel’s Fight for Her Land”
Magazine Investigative Reporting
- Steven Brill, Time Magazine, “Bitter Pill: Why Our Medical Bills Are Killing Us”
Magazine Feature Reporting
- Robin Marantz Henig, The New York Times Magazine, “A Life or Death Situation”
- Jeremy Smerd, Crain’s New York Business, “So many Chapter 11s, he could write a book”
- Ingrid Sischy, Vanity Fair, “Galliano in the Wilderness”
- A.C. Thompson and Jonathan Jones, ProPublica, “Life and Death in Assisted Living“
Business Investigative Reporting
- Katherine Eban, Fortune, “Dirty Medicine”
- Jay Michaelson, Jewish Daily Forward
Science, Technology, Medical or Environmental Reporting
- Natacha Pisarenko and Michael Warren, The Associated Press, “Argentines link health problems to agrochemicals”
- Thomas Zambito, The Star-Ledger, “Tragic tale of a death born on the practice field”
Spot News Photo
- Mohammad Sajjad, The Associated Press, “Bomb Attack”
- Rodrigo Abd, The Associated Press, “War Scars”
- Bill Lyons, Staten Island Advance, “COLLISION”
DIGITAL AND INTERACTIVE MEDIA
Multimedia, Interactive Graphics and Animation
- Irene Jay Liu and team, Reuters, “Connected China”
- Tracy Weber, Charles Ornstein, Jennifer LaFleur, Jeff Larson and Lena Groeger, ProPublica, “The Prescribers”
RADIO AND AUDIO
Radio or Audio Reporting
- Paige Cowett and Sarah Koenig, WNYC Radio, “What Are You Doing for the Test of Your Life?”
Digital Video Reporting
- Michael M. Phillips, Araby Williams and Jill Kirschenbaum, The Wall Street Journal, “The Lobotomy Files”
Television Spot News Reporting
- CNN International Reporting Team, “CNN’s Coverage of Typhoon Haiyan”
- Diane Sawyer, Michael Corn, Almin Karamehmedovic, Claire J. Weinraub, Jon Meyersohn, Denise Martinez-Ramundo, Ely Brown, Stephanie Wash, Jeff Turboff, Michael Darlington, Terrence Kiff, Tom Gubar, Akram Abi-Hanna, Bartley Price and Gill Ben Ze’ev, ABC News, ABC News, “Hidden America: Fear and Hope at Strawberry Mansion”
Television Series or Investigative Reporting
- Walt Kane, Karin Attonito and Anthony Cocco, News 12 New Jersey, “Kane In Your Corner: The Fenimore Fumes”
- Michael Grabell, ProPublica, “Temp Land”
Public Service Award
- Andrea Elliott, The New York Times, “Invisible Child”
- September 17, 2014Free SPJ/Deadline Club Media Mixer on September 23
- July 26, 2014Media Networking Mixer on August 6
- May 19, 2014The 2014 Scholarship Winners
Congratulations to the four winners.
- April 17, 2014The 2014 Annual Awards Finalists
The Deadline Club is pleased to announce the finalists in the 2014 Annual Awards Contest,...
- April 10, 2014Crowbar Journalism: Prying up News with Freedom of Information Laws
Learn how journalists use freedom of information laws to uncover government corruption, secrecy and...
- April 10, 2014CNN’s Zucker to be interviewed by Bill Carter of The Times at Awards Dinner
Bill Carter, who covers the television industry for The New York Times, will be this year’s guest...
- February 24, 2014CNN's Jeff Zucker to speak at May 19 Awards Dinner
- February 11, 2014Entry Period for 2014 Awards Contest Extended to Feb. 28
The Deadline Club is stretching the deadline for its awards contest.
- February 7, 2014The Deadline Club's Midwinter Networking Mixer
Join us at Sardi's on Tuesday for our midwinter networking mixer.
- December 26, 2013The Club’s Holiday Party Returns to Salmagundi
The Club celebrated the holidays in style in the historic Greenwich Village brownstone of the...
- November 21, 2013Hall of Fame Lights Up Sardi’s
This second act brought down the house when the The Deadline Club returned to Sardi’s for its Hall...
- November 20, 2013Raise a Cup of Good Cheer at The Club's Holiday Bash (Dec. 12)
Come toast the conclusion of another eventful year at our Annual Holiday Party & Election at the...
- September 4, 2013Hall of Fame Revival Set for November
The Deadline Club is pleased to announce the revival of the New York Journalism Hall of Fame.
- September 3, 2013A Full-Day Social Media Workshop (Sept. 28)
The Deadline Club will host a full-day workshop with hands on training in multimedia and social...
- September 2, 2013SPJ Chapter of the Year
The Deadline Club, which is the New York City chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists,...
- May 16, 2013The 2013 Deadline Club Awards Show
The third time was a charm.