2023 Deadline Club Scholarships
The 2023 scholarship application window has CLOSED. Stay tuned for the list of winners, and more information on how to get involved as a student, with our newsletter and online at Deadlineclub.org.
About the scholarships
The Deadline Club, New York City’s chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists, supports and encourages journalism in the metropolitan area through its annual scholarship program. It funds these financial awards through its annual journalism awards program. This year, the club will award six scholarship grants at $2,500 each, the same as last year. Meet the 2022 winners.
The competition is open to undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in journalism or journalism-oriented communications programs in the New York City metropolitan area, which includes all campuses within 50 miles of Columbus Circle. Recipients will be determined by a panel of journalism and communications professionals and educators that looks for students who have demonstrated, through both scholarship and practice, a potential to contribute to the highest standards and goals of the craft. The committee’s decisions are final.
Scholarship recipients will be notified by email no later than April 19. Recipients are invited to attend The Deadline Club’s annual awards dinner as honored guests. The awards celebration will be held at the Harvard Club of New York City, 35 W. 44th Street in Manhattan, on Thursday, May 18, 2023, where the scholarship winners will be publicly congratulated in front of an audience of New York City journalists. Unsuccessful applicants will not be notified, and applicants should not contact The Deadline Club to inquire about their application status.
How to enter
1) Complete the application form and submit it electronically on the site. The entry period will end at 11:59 p.m. ET on Sunday, March 26, 2023. You should be prepared to complete all required fields and uploads at the time of submission. Please follow the file naming instructions included in the application.
2) Submit a 300-word essay (typed, double-spaced) describing your reasons for pursuing a career in journalism, your greatest accomplishments to date and how this scholarship will help take you to the next level.
3) In 1,000 characters or less describe the impact this scholarship would have on your pursuit of a journalism education. This is included as a specific question on the application form.
4) Submit three previously published audio, video, writing or multimedia samples.
5) Submit two letters of recommendation, at least one of which is from an educator familiar with your academic record. If the person writing your letter of recommendation prefers that you not see it, it can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that incomplete applications as well as those that do not comply with the guidelines in the Eligibility Rules will be disqualified.
Application link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfohcfv0lHJorbnPTEIO8ROOIdBHgbpXwNLD-SR-YwX3NDr_Q/viewform
Join the Deadline Club
All local journalism and communication students can become Deadline Club members. Click here to join SPJ today, and take advantage of the many benefits membership offers. Then, select New York Deadline Club as your local chapter.