Discussing AI and the Future of Journalism
ChatGPT is far from alone. There is a whole raft of emerging artificial intelligence trends that those of us who report, write and edit the news find both exciting and disturbing. One expert has predicted that 90% of all online content could be AI-generated by 2025.
On March 13, the Deadline Club brought together a group of experts for a critical discussion about the intersection between AI and journalism. In this talk, moderated by Steve Dunlop and Robert Anthony, panelists touched on a wide range of important topics, including:
- What features of AI hold the most peril for journalists?
- Which hold the most promise?
- How does an AI program actually work?
- Does AI threaten journalism jobs?
- Can journalists investigate AI tools? If so, how?
- Are there practical hacks for determining whether content is AI-generated or real?